My photo
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

MODEST MOUSE!!

Call me selfish but this post is mainly for me. To remember. I understand that it's probably not going to be interesting to 90 percent of the people who read it but it's necessary. Modest Mouse is my all-time favorite band, and I don't ever, ever want to forget last night!

Marching Birds opened up for them. I'm not necessarily a fan of them so we didn't pay attention to them for more than about one song. It was nice background music though. We hung out upstairs on the deck, with couches. It was such a chill place, I absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back...even if it isn't to go see a show. I wouldn't mind going up there to just hang out sometimes. It was super!

While Modest Mouse was setting up, we (Me, Amber, Shawn) started to look around the extremely packed venue to see how we were going to make it to the front to be as close as possible. As we were walking down the stairs to make our way toward downstairs, there was an intense heat wave the moment we started to get closer to the first floor. That didn't change throughout the entire show...but that comes with every show...it's the only heat I will ever be okay with.

I loved the opening act. The lights were shining, Isaac came out...he didn't say anything, they just started playing Dramamine. One of my favorite parts of the whole show was the way he would switch up the lyrics and improv at times. It's so nice to watch someone you love, doing new things with songs you love.

Next they played Gravity Rides Everything and the entire crowd was into it, swaying back and forth. Again, one of the greatest things at a concert is the involvement. It is one of the greatest feelings ever to be around 2000 people who love the band as much as you do.

Fly Trapped In a Jar came next. It was perfect. They opened up with Dramamine, everyone was pumped because it's the first song, and a great song at that! They slow it down a little and play Gravity Rides Everything, gets the crowd swaying, great song, fantastic music. Then they play Fly Trapped In a Jar to get everyone all hyped up and excited again. At least 90 percent of the crowd was jumping, dancing, singing along. It was such a fun experience!

**About this time Isaac informed us that they had bought some cauliflower and broccoli to eat and didn't get a chance to eat it so he said he needed to find someone who could "take care" of said veggies and not throw them all over, so he picked out his people and tossed them their bags of veggies haha**

Never Ending Math Equation came next. A song that is a little bit older, but definitely a great song! Personally I think it's the funnest to sing, haha...Just how fast the lyrics go and what he does with his voice, it's rad. Isaac is a genius.

They played 3rd planet next. I don't even know what to say about this song. Definitely one of my favorites and so great to hear live...the dedication and feelings that come from this song are almost too much. (In a very, very good way :))

Next they played Here It Comes. I didn't expect them to play this song at all, but I am so glad they did. Such a great song!! Again, Isaac would change up the lyrics and use his special mic to make his voice (I can't remember what it is called) sound different and it sounds so sick!!

Satellite Skin was next and I wanted them to play this song more than anything!! It is one of their newest songs and I first heard it when they played it on Letterman. I fell in love right away and listened to it at least 3 times a day. It's amazing how awesome they sound live.

King Rat and Dashboard were next and they were the FUNNEST songs!! They are both songs that just get you pumped and make you want to dance right out of your little shoes. Which is what happened to a lot of people. So, so, so, so fun!

Next they played The Whale Song. Again, this was off of their new album, which is awesome...I really would have liked to hear the entire EP. I love every single song. This is definitely one of the better ones though.

Blame It On The Tetons was next. Definitely a classic. When I first started listening to Modest Mouse, this is one of the songs that really got me hooked, so it's great to hear them play it every time I see them perform!

Breakthrough was next and lasted around 10 minutes...they did a bunch of SICK guitar solos, Isaac changed his voice almost everytime he sang the chorus. It was amazing!!

The last couple of songs were The Good Times Are Killing Me, The View, and another favorite, Spitting Venom. Travis LOVES Spitting Venom so I wanted to call him SO bad and let him listen because it was perfect. Everything about it. Absolutely amazing. I wish I could have recorded the entire show so I could watch it every single day. It sucks that it's going to be at least a year before I get to see them again. But I will wait as patiently as I possibly can.

I was not waiting very patiently though, when they left the stage and we were waiting for them to come out for the Encore. I was SO happy that they played for as long as they did. I needed that in my life oh so badly!!! They waited about 15 minutes before coming back out for their Encore though, so that sucked. But it was well worth the wait, of course.

The second they got back onto the stage, Isaac walked up to the mic and said "UH OH SPAGHETTIO" lol, random but awesome.

They played Bury Me With It first which is sweet because that was the opening song two years ago when we saw them. How clever.

Next they played Tiny Cities Made of Ashes and it was bluegrassier than usual. It was so great! I love that song!! The crowd was SO into it...it's a pretty popular song, so almost everyone knows it.

And then they closed with Broke which is crazy because I was thinking to myself in the middle of the show...if I could choose any song that I wanted them to play, I thought to myself it would definitely be Broke, and sure enough, they rocked the shit out of it. Thank God I was able to be there. I would have done anything to see them again, they are such a great band and Isaac is so amazing.

His very last words to us were "UH OH, SPAGHETTIO!"

Here's to hoping the next time I see them is within 3 months :)




No comments:

You might also like...

Custom Search